Wednesday, April 15

The "Best Kept Secret" Season

My mom will tell you that when I was a child, she had to cajole, bribe and threaten to get me to go anywhere. And then she'd have to cajole, bribe and threaten to get me to go home again. Wherever I was and whatever I was doing at a given moment, I wanted to keep being there and continue doing it. I guess I was in a perpetual state of enthrallment. And to be honest, not much has changed. At least not when it comes to the seasons.

I always love whichever season I am currently in, wishing it would never end. Take winter for instance. When March was winding down and the snow was generally shrinking instead of growing, everyone around me was saying "it's about time, we've had enough #!@&! snow already!". But me? I was hoping for one more big blizzard, a cold snap, a fresh foot of powder to admire and play in. Instead, I was dragged kicking and screaming out of Winter and into Spring. But now that I'm here, now that Spring is here, I love it.

In fact, right now is one of the most delightful times of year. But I call it the Best Kept Secret season because few people realize that from early-April till about mid-May, we are graced with some of the best weather of the year.

The days are often brilliantly sunny and warm while the air is fresh and clean.
On afternoons like this, it is sacrilege to stay indoors. Take a deep breath as you stroll down a path and you may be rewarded with the scent of snow, pine or gently baking earth. The birds sing in the morning. The frogs will soon start singing at night. And the best part is it's too early for the bugs: there are NO biting insects to pester us!

Spring in Muskoka and Almaguin has all this subtle splendor, but not many people to appreciate it. It's just not a popular getaway time of year here. The winter adventures are over but it's too soon for summer activities such as swimming and canoeing.

Instead it's a low-key time of meandering walks through forests that are just coming back to life. Or sitting with a cup of tea or glass of wine on the deck by the Coop and soaking in the sun. It means no crowds in Algonquin Park and no long waits at favourite restaurants.

Of course, the weather can be unpredictable in the spring. April showers... as the saying goes. Sometimes it rains. The trails are wet. But it never seems to matter if you're dressed for the weather (rubber boots are the footwear of choice). If it's a little too breezy or cool, well then that's just a good excuse to have a fire going.

I, for one, will continue to revel in this under-estimated season. At least I will until I'm dragged into the next one. :)

If a quiet spring getaway to recharge and relax sounds like your cup of tea, check out our Mini-Sabbatical package. It's designed as a solo retreat but can easily be tweaked for two.

No comments: